Green Growth: Why Wood is the Missing Low-Carbon Link
Confor Members and guests gathered in London for our 2023 UK policy conference on 7 December. Speakers and panellists from across the industry, public sector and academia addressed some of the key issues facing the forestry and wood-using sectors in a day of thought-provoking discussion.
The following content from Green Growth: Why Wood is the Missing Low-Carbon Link has been made available for attendees to share with colleagues and interested parties.
Session 1: The Headlines
- Watch: Ministerial Keynote | Rebecca Pow MP, Forestry Minister, UK Government
- From Evidence to Action | Stuart Goodall, Chief Executive, Confor
Session 2: Why We Need a Greater Focus on Wood
- Why Wood is Vital for a Future Green Economy | Andy Leitch, Deputy Chief Executive, Confor
- Building for England's Woodlands: Research Into Using More Hardwoods | Dr Dan Ridley-Ellis, Associate Professor & Head of Centre for Wood Science and Technology, Edinburgh Napier University
- The Carbon Story of UK Wood and the Benefits of Circularity | Dr Eilidh Forster, Researcher, Bangor University
- Forestry and Wood: Why Simple Messages Matter | Rachael Clamp, PA Cooperative
Session 3: Putting Wood at the Heart of Low-Carbon Transformation
- Watch: Wood for the Trees | The latest film by Tom Barnes & filmmaker Charly Le Marchant
- Lessons from Wales in Prioritising Domestic Wood Use | Gail Merriman, Head of Timber Industrial Strategy, Welsh Government
- The National Wood Strategy for England: Key Points & Next Steps | Tom Barnes, Managing Director, Vastern Timber
See more on the National Wood Strategy website.
Session 4: A Manifesto for Change
What should the next government do to help the forestry and timber processing industry deliver green growth to Britain?
- Promoting Home-Grown Timber in Construction | Harry Stevens, Managing Director, Tilhill
- The Carbon Angle in Trees and Wood Production | Emma Kerr, Carbon Manager, Scottish Woodlands
- Supporting Management and Wood Production on England's Woodlands | Laura Henderson, Director, English Woodlands