Quarantine exemptions for specialist technical staff
Do you need a technician or engineer from abroad? Government has confirmed they will not have to comply with quarantine rules.
Under the new Border Controls, most people entering the UK must enter quarantine for 14 days, unless they qualify for an exemption. One of those exemptions which Confor lobbied for is for:
“Workers with specialist technical skills for essential or emergency works or services (including commissioning, maintenance, and repairs and safety checks) to ensure the continued production, supply, movement, manufacture, storage or preservation of goods”
Given the amount of foreign machinery and equipment we use in UK forestry, this could be very helpful for businesses needing specialist assistance from manufacturers, etc based outwith the UK. Those entering under this exemption will still have to comply with certain rules, which can be found here. These may change as time goes on so you are advised to check regularly. But at present they state:
Rules for specialist technical staff exempt from quarantine upon entry into the UK
1. You’ll need to complete the Public Health passenger locator form before you travel to the UK. You will not need to self-isolate for 14 days.
2. You should show a letter from your company which includes:
- your personal details, such as name and address
- contact details for your employer
- contact details for the business or organisation you’ll be completing work for in the UK
- what work you’ll be doing
3. If your employer issued you with photo identification, you should bring this with you to the UK
4. You’ll need to show that your travel to the UK is essential for your work here, for example a letter from your employer, a consignment note or your operator’s licence.