Forest Sector Development Advisor
13 October 2020
£53,013 - £58,699 plus benefits
Scottish Forestry (SF) is responsible for delivering Scottish Ministers’ forestry ambitions and priorities. We provide policy, support and regulation for Scotland’s 1.4 million hectares of forests.
As Scotland’s forestry regulator and advisor, Scottish Forestry’s work impacts on people, communities, businesses and environments throughout Scotland and beyond. We were established on 1 April 2019, so this role presents a fantastic opportunity to help shape our business and how we can deliver more for Scotland.
The six strong Business Development team sits with the Standards, Evidence and Expertise section of SF’s National Office. Business Development provides advice and expertise to the Scottish Government and Ministers on all aspects of commercial forestry in Scotland including skills and education. This post will report directly to the Head of Business Development.
This post is required to support the development of the forestry sector, in particular supporting added value uses of Scottish timber. This role provides the link between Scottish Forestry, the Scottish development agencies, Confor and the Scottish Forest and Timber Technologies Industry Leadership Group (ILG).
The key area of work for this post will be to support the (ILG) to deliver its strategy, the current “Roots for Further Growth” and increase the sectors contribution to inclusive economic growth. In addition you will work with the research community supporting innovation and value added opportunities.
The post will manage the Pay Band 3 Education Policy Advisor and the Pay Band 4 Forest Industries Advisor with a focus on joined up delivery on the skills and careers element of the ILG strategy.
Key work areas:
- Act as senior advisor and lead on forestry sector issues for Scottish Enterprise, South of Scotland Enterprise, Highland and Island Enterprise and others in the Scottish Forest and Timber Technologies (SFTT) sector;
- Act as the executive of the SFTT Industry Leadership Group (ILG);
- Be responsible for the Root for Further Growth Programme budget;
- Leading on the push to get more Scottish timber into construction;
- Work directly with UK wood-based Industries to identify and support opportunities to add value to Scotland’s wood supply chains through collaboration and partnerships in innovation, and promotion activities;
- Help to shape and direct research and development in tree breeding, wood properties and use of timber and wood fibre;
- Lead on the Skills agenda in relation to developing a future workforce for the sector to deliver its economic growth ambitions;
- Undertake a high level of representational work with the forestry sector and maintain a close working relationship with Confor and other sectoral representative bodies;
- Provide Ministerial support, including briefings, correspondence and official support as required;
- Act as line manager to a Pay Band 3 and Pay Band 4.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website:
Please quote ref 74383
Closing date: 1st November 2020, 23:55