Plan to create £2 billion forestry and wood sector in Scotland
29 November 2018
An ambitious forest industries strategy published today aims to double the sector’s annual economic contribution in Scotland to £2 billion by 2030.
Launched by the Scottish Forest and Timber Technologies Industry Leadership Group (ILG), Roots for Further Growth strategy sets out a long-term vision for growth, with five strategic priorities:
- Maximise the economic outputs of Scotland’s forest and fibre resource;
- Improve the safety and efficiency of the wood fibre supply chain;
- Expand markets and add value;
- Develop a future skilled workforce which supports inclusive growth;
- Understand and communicate the sector’s economic contribution.
“This is an important strategy for an important sector,” said Confor CEO Stuart Goodall. “Scotland’s forestry and wood processing businesses can make a major contribution to achieving a low-carbon economy, removing carbon from the atmosphere and creating jobs, especially in rural areas.
“Realising the sector’s potential requires a partnership between government and industry - and Confor is ready to play its part in doubling the size of the industry by 2030."