Senior Officer, Forestry Permitting Service
25 June 2020
Natural Resources Wales
- Location: Bangor, Ruthin/Flexible
- Grade & Salary: 6 - £34,427 rising to £37,656 over four years
- Post number: 201618
- Type of contract: Permanent
- Work pattern: Mon-Fri 37-hour week
- Welsh language requirements: Essential level 1
Closing date: 12 July 2020
With more exciting things happening here at NRW than ever before, the diverse nature of our remit means that no two days are ever the same.
If you have a proven track record within forestry, are an organised, conscientious and hardworking individual who has a very good technical understanding on a wide range of forestry matters, enjoy dealing with complex issues and sharing your knowledge with others and are an excellent team player, then we’ve got the job for you!
As Technical Specialist (Senior Officer) in the Permitting Service you'll be responsible for providing specialist lead/support on the assessment and determination of complex forestry applications in accordance with NRW Policy, processes, guidance and procedures. You will need to have an in depth understanding of relevant legislation and how it relates to forestry permitting as well as identifying and delivering opportunities for process and procedural changes. Your skills and knowledge will help to ensure that the Forestry Permitting Team can work efficiently and effectively, by providing an excellent level of support to the team and our customers.
We are looking for someone who has that wealth of forestry experience and knowledge, can work at a fast pace, meet deadlines and who is able to effectively prioritise their workload. You will be supporting the forestry and woodland sector in Wales in delivering sustainable woodland management and achieving the desired outcomes in the Woodland for Wales Strategy, to meet the Area Statement and guide our regulatory approach to SMNR and delivering Wellbeing outcomes. If you enjoy the everyday reward of knowing that everything you do is helping to make a difference, then NRW is the place for you.
If this sounds like you – apply now!
Qualifications and Skills
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant scientific discipline or have a proven track record in forestry
- An in-depth understanding of the relevant legislation and how it relates to the tree felling permitting process.
- Extensive experience of assessing complex tree felling permit applications.
- Proven coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong customer focussed approach to delivery.
- Track record of delivering timely optimal solutions by effective information analysis and risk-based decisions.
- Effective planning and organisation skills.
- Experience of software packages such as excel, powerpoint, database.
Interviews to take place when/where: Date to be confirmed, via Skype
For more information, please visit our website.