Lead Specialist Advisor, Regulatory Approaches (Forestry)
26 September 2019
Location: Flexible in Wales, Bangor or Cardiff preferred
Grade & Salary: 7 - £36,867.00 rising to £41,344.00 over three years
Post number: 201555
Type of contract: Permanent
Closing date: 18th October 2019
Interviews to take place at Ty Cambria, Cardiff.
To provide the expert lead on forestry regulation (and support wider delivery of the team's workplan as appropriate) and manage the delivery of NRW programmes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of regulation processes. This will translate Welsh & UK Government policy into practical approaches to the point of delivery. You will promote and be guided by our Regulatory Principles. You will work with colleagues from other teams in Natural Resources Management Policy and Operations, officials from Welsh Government and sector representatives.
The post holder will:
- Be the principal point of contact with environmental regulators, both UK and European, to share information and work together on the regulatory approach, technical advice and guidance for all relevant Sectors.
- to share information and work together on the development of operational policy and new legislation, interpretation of relevant legislation, advice and guidance for the specific sector(s) and areas of responsibility.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of the assigned sector(s) identifying the implications of legislative, technology and market changes for Natural Resources Wales and the sector(s).
- Support the development and training of staff across NRW by applying technical, legislative and regulatory knowledge and experience.
- Lead and project manage specific and complex issues including commissions by internal governance boards to enable consistent and appropriate understanding and application by staff that enables effective regulatory service provision.
- Contribute to the delivery of the team’s business plan, the directorate delivery plan and NRWs corporate plan.
- Support the mentoring and coaching of Advisors within the team to ensure that the team has sufficient technical and legislative resilience for your assigned area of work.
- Advise on evidence needs and opportunities, commission evidence & project manage evidence projects, in line with the agreed evidence programme.
- Design monitoring and evaluation frameworks of regulation interventions to inform assessment of the need for improvements in regulation and permitting processes by NRW.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of Welsh, UK and EU legislation related to your specific sector(s); Welsh, UK government Policy drivers in your specific sector(s).
- Experience in informing and influencing government departments/regulators, preferably on environmental issues.
- Extensive experience in forming and maintaining close links with internal and external partners/stakeholders to deliver the outcomes of both a specific function/project/team and the wider organisation.
- Experience of understanding and applying regulatory activities.
- Be able to work at pace and have a track record of delivery.
- Being innovative and demonstrating drive to achieve targets
- You will be expected to keep up to date with changing regulatory policy and proposed changes to legislation via membership of a relevant professional body or other equivalent means.
For more information, please visit our website.