Forest Planner / Assistant Forest Planner
6 November 2018
Scottish Woodlands are currently recruiting a full-time Forest Planner, based in their Fenwick office to undertake the assessment and design and production of Forestry Grant Scheme (FGS) applications, with a focus on woodland creation.
Central and South Scotland
Scottish Woodlands Ltd is a leading forestry management company with a proven track record of serving forest owners and investors in Scotland and throughout the UK. We provide a comprehensive range of forest, estate and land-related services underpinned by our in-depth market experience and commitment to quality. The business has a dedication and commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and customer focus. Our aim is to understand each client’s specific objectives and provide a service which is both flexible and professional.
We are currently recruiting a full-time Forest Planner, based in our Fenwick office to undertake the assessment and design and production of Forestry Grant Scheme (FGS) applications, with a focus on woodland creation.
This a is new and exciting role within Scottish Woodlands and therefore we want to hear from you whether you are experienced in this field or have recently graduated and looking to start your career.
- Conduct basic site and desktop survey techniques to collect, analyse and interpret site data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning Systems (GPS), aerial photography, public records and maps.
- Undertake the preparation of all FGS application documentation including the preparation of high-quality digital visualisations and maps.
- Engage and provide strong communication with Forestry Commission Scotland and Scottish Woodlands colleagues to ensure proposals comply with regulations and compliment management objectives and practical implementation.
- Coordinate external specialist surveyors, stakeholder engagement & public consultation.
- Undertake a range of casework including Forest Management Plans, Felling Licences, Plant health notices, tree surveys, prior notification applications and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA).
This is a busy and demanding role where you must be capable of working autonomously and as part of a highly motivated professional team. You will be competent in the use of IT, specifically Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel and have demonstrable knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS). You should be able to demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills. To be successful in this role you will be professional and confident in your approach to work, able to work to tight deadlines and targets, be self-motivated and have exceptional attention to detail.
Ideally you will have a forestry related qualification at HND level or above however, candidates with related land-based qualifications and/or experience are also encouraged to apply. Experience of working in a similar role in the Forestry sector and a sound knowledge of silviculture and the Forestry Grant scheme is desirable but not essential as full training will be provided.
Since this role involves site visits to very remote locations, a full valid driver’s licence is essential.
Scottish Woodlands offers an attractive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. This includes:
- Company vehicle
- Permanent health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Life assurance
- Opportunity for equity participation.
- Excellent personal and career development opportunities
- Company that is 80% owned by staff.
Applications should be made in writing (stating current salary), along with CV.
Please email: email@example.com
For more information on working with Scottish Woodlands, including our Job Applicant Privacy Notice, please visit the careers section of our website: www.scottishwoodlands.co.uk
We are an equal opportunities employer
Closing date: Friday 30th November 2018
Growing a sustainable future