SFTT - 11th March 2020 - South Scotland
11 March 2020
A selection of presentations from the meeting:
A mixed bag for this event, but each topic is under the limelight just now.
Provision of adequate welfare facilities on active forest sites is essential, but what exactly is required, particularly for smaller short-term jobs and lone-working, etc., and how can we overcome some obvious difficulties.
The CAN DO Innovation Challenge Fund has backed research into two of our more testing problems – how to manage weevil populations, and how to secure the maximum number of tree seeds from a finite biological resource that cannot be guaranteed to deliver.
Come and hear the emerging results of these projects, and from your own experience, help to identify any further research needs.
- Welfare and Health & Safety on active sites
- Tina Ambler, Tilhill Safety Manager
- Mental health & well-being
- Tony McLaren, NHS24 Scotland
- Weevil management and tree seed optimisation
- Josh Roberts, Forestry & Land Scotland
- Industry updates
- Andy Leitch, Timber Development Policy Advisor, Scottish Forestry, and coordinator of the SFTT Industry Leadership Group
- Doug Howieson, Scottish Forestry’s Conservator for South Scotland
- Confor – the usual general industry update