Impact of Brexit on the UK’s plant and animal biosecurity
13 April 2018
The EU Energy and Environment Sub-Committee launched a new inquiry into the impact of Brexit on the UK’s plant and animal biosecurity.
The House of Lords EU Committee and its six Sub-Committees conducted a coordinated series of short inquiries looking at the key issues that will arise in the negotiations on Brexit.
Confor has submitted evidence to the plant and animal biosecurity inquiry which explores:
- The extent to which a common UK-EU approach to biosecurity will continue to be desirable post-Brexit
- The ways the UK and EU currently share biosecurity information, and whether these can be maintained
- The resource challenges of repatriating biosecurity risk assessment and inspection
- The potential need for a common biosecurity framework across the UK
- How the UK could strengthen its biosecurity after leaving the EU.